Friday, April 11, 2008

Sunday the 21st - A Run for the People



Our energy changes, the river makes us more positive people. We headed off to the river again, but today was all about the people that live in the area.

On that horrible bumpy road lives a family with two kids. Every day when the truck drives by, the kids come out to visit us. It’s one of my favorite parts of the day. I know when these two kids get a bit older they will be playing in the river with a kayak or a raft.

The put in for the lower section is amazing. The trail down to the river is not big enough for the rafts, so they’ve set up a zip line to get the rafts down to the river. Its one of the easiest and most ingenious put-ins I have ever witnessed.



“Buenos Dias” (Good Morning) is the first white water feature on the river, 100m down from the put-in. It’s perfect to start your run, it’s a small violent hole that kicks my ass every time. You’re just surfing, surfing, and then BOOM, you’re upside down before you know what’s hit you.

At the end of the run there is a flat water section with a big public beach near the road. During the weekends families come to cool down from the intense 90% humidity and 35°C. On this beach I had a chance to meet some of the families and show the kids what kayaking is all about. For me these are rewarding moments; they keep me going on this mission to create free outdoor education programs for kids. I can see in their smiles that the kids just love it.

No comments: